Saturday, November 18, 2006

three's never a crowd...

One of the few perks from working at trapik.com is working with great people. People I become attached to. People I've grown to love and respect. People I love to be associated with. People I've come to be super friends with. From the djs to my co workers..to my seatmates and even Manong July, my stay at trapik would always be cherished. Not that I'm leaving anytime soon. Although I should, to pursue other things, but I dunno, I just love the place. What other job would give you as much freedom, as much fun, as much great characters than our little company? (Well, uhmmmh, dream is also a great place to work in...but I'll write something about it later)

Anyway, I am getting very warm and nostalgic about trapik all of a sudden following my brief but nonetheless wonderful encounter over lunch, with two of the great finds at trapik: Karen and Dindi. Ofcourse Karen was my ever worry wart seatmate back then while Dindi was her friend. Eventually we all became friends and I even get to work with Dindi after her stint at trapik. Both are younger than I am but when it comes to other stuff, believe me, I am left way behind. Hahahaha... I really feel so blessed having known these two. I am really genuinely happy that both of them are able to live their dreams of being part of the industry that I so love. I mean, not a lot of people are given this much opportunity. And being such an old school dj that I am, I would only want those deserving to be called my colleagues. I mean radio is still and should always be about the voice and the personality amalgamating with the music and the personality of the station. Never about the looks as the new school of radio is trying to pervade. You know even if we don't earn as much as all those big time managers and executives from those multinational companies and shit like that, I am very much happy with my job. The trade off is worth it. I suppose this is where I get my youth. Not that I have Peter Pan tendencies, it's just that, the reality is I am not getting any younger and for some people, this industry may not be too kind even to the gracefully aging beings like me. But I always believed that if you're good, you'll always have a place. That's al there is. Your passion will drive you and give what's due for you. This may sound as if I'm romanticizing it all, but corny as it may, I really feel that there's a substantial amount of truth to it.

Anyway, back to Dindi and Karen, I am so happy that finally, our dear Sexy Terry is over her big mistake that was Eric. I always know that good things happen to good people, and she's done her part and now she's at peace with herself. I also wish Dindi would finally find her true happiness, be it migrating to Canada, or finding her own Borat, a willing and abled guy who could sweep her off her feet, make her laugh and simply just ...you know, satisfy her. Hahahaha.. (she might get to read this, patay!) Anyway, aside from these two being so in-the-know, I am also thankful to them for changing my perspective on purchasing great brands in a heartbeat. I mean, I've always loved Marks & Spencer, especially when they go on sale but did you know that years ago, I'd be adamant to spend my hard earned moolah in a snap on branded stuff. But all that changed when Karen was convincing enough to tell me that Topshop aint that pricey for such quality. And after a few shopping bags from that fantastic store, I am indeed a convert. Even drawn to Dorothy Perkins. Meanwhile Dindi's contributions are Dupe and Debenhams.

Last night I was also with an old friend. My old boss Sir Brent was in the neighborhood while me and Grace were having dinner at Kitaro. Grace had a scheduled interview at around 10, so we just had a nice warm dinner to pass time. Sir Brent was walking down Emerald and saw me and went in and we tried to catch up. The chitchat went on til Grace had to leave, and Kitaro had to close. So we decided to relocate to Starbucks as he was craving for some hot tea. It's nice to see him lose a lot of weight. Looks better now and he seems more at peace now more than ever. Again, good things happen to good people. Just a little work and patience. Can't wait to see the other guys from Home, if only Pancho could come visit. I miss getting drunk and wasted with those blokes. Hahahaha...

See, I am really really happy with the kind of friends I have. And so if I may suggest, try to choose your friends--you can always do so. It's not a crime. Nothing wrong with being friendly, but make sure you keep a considerable distance to those you don't really like. Sometimes being too polite could keep you from choosing your friends or the people you keep for company. I'd say, don't ever ever give in to the pressures. I am telling you--YOU can choose your friends. I am happy with my choices now. Never been happier.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

dear Radio Goddess,

you're one of the very few people who have nice things to say about this dindi person. i'm sure she appreciates it Ü