Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Idol Worship

This year, at least for the first quarter of 2005, nothing excited me more than my illicit affair with the mother of reality tv competitions—and that’s American Idol. Iremember getting influenced by my friends and co-workers late in season 3, I was quite interested and impressed by the production value of the show. For me the contestants were just secondary. The show in itself, the concept and the presentation appealed to me more than the players.

I’m still reeling from the fact that I spent a good three months eagerly anticipating and really keeping track of the developments in the show. Never was I ever more interested in any other tv show,well apart from Sex and the City and Six feet under perhaps, but there’s just something about American Idol this year that really got me hooked. And I think I can explain it in two words: Bo Bice.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
He’s the southern long hair dude who calls Alabama his sweet home. Ooh boy, oh boy.

Early in the game, you already get to pick out your favorite from the bunch. I was still optimistic about Philippine bet, Shar, formerly of Smokey Mountain. But twas really a certain Carrie, a smoldering Constantine, a smoothie Travis and a brow-raising Bo, Harold, if you may, who not only caught my attention, but more like caused and eventually fed my addiction. Oooh, even the Federov guy was pretty cute. I remember texting an officemate how I found Anthony cute and how the boys were way more talented than the girls. Whenever it’s the girls competition, I couldn’t get myself to stay awake for the rest of the show but when it comes to the guys, I can’t wait for the next day to talk about it with friends. Throughout the show I would text my friend and share comments. And week by week, my devotion to Mr. Bice only became stronger and more intense. Hahahaha. I can’t believe I just wrote that.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Down the wire, right on the finals week, I only learned about it the next day, but our baby Bice got sick. Apparently, he got food-poisoned. That explained much about how he was not his usual self, but the voice—definitely Bice! T’was just surprising that he was made to sing quite an obscure song as opposed to Carrie’s very high on recall, Angels Brought me Here. Naturally, the judges loved the rendition. Well how can you go wrong with a hit, right? And how could she not cash in on that. She’s also an equally worthy opponent. Our baby Bice though, helpless as he was, just stood there and pointed that he’s a singer, and he’ll sing anything that’s given to him. Respect and props to you our venerable Harold. He sang Inside your Heaven, the season 4 song, with much emotion and much heart and soul. And people not only saw and heard him but much more, connected with him. However, Carrie got the better end of the deal which after sometime, gets a little easier to swallow and accept knowing that now, right NOW, Mr. Bice would have a better career ahead of him, following the footsteps of another close runner-up Clay Aiken, who even at his stature, is a fan and would definitely pale in comparison to Bice Bice Baby.

Ben Stiller, is also a fellow fan. He even admitted that he voted for Bo about 200 times. Same with Kirstie Allie and who could forget Pamela Anderson. I’m pretty sure if Hall and Oates were asked, though they like Savol as much, they’d pick Bo anytime.

Oh well, the season’s over. And although I’ll miss those Idol moments, I doubt I could give this Idol worship a rest. I’ll just have to content myself with the downloads til Mr. Bice already releases his album late June or early July. Oooh, you bet this girl can’t wait. I’m also praying that some kind soul could bring them over. I’d be the first in line to see, sweeeeeetttttt home Alabama boy who just lets you drift away in his vehicle to go to his corner of the sky where I could get my much needed remedy cause I don’t wanna be lovesick anymore and honestly, I wouldn’t mind if I’ll be tied to a Whipping post next to him as he sings Don’t let the sun go down on me cause I know he’s the kind of guy who wouldn’t leave you for the love of money even if its just within a dream or his version of Heaven. Ahhhhhhhh…cant wait any longer. Bo, I wonder how it is to be Inside your heaven, hunny! Hehehehehehe…Oooh, never mind the long long road… I can’t believe I came up with something like that. I must really be deep into the addiction already. I even got into word fights on pinoyexchange all because of Mr. Bice.

Anyway, I think I better get going. I’ll try my best to curb my idol worship quota for the day. Hehehehe…I said, I’ll try!

No comments: