Thursday, July 20, 2006

Mirror mirror on the wall...

I’ve always been amazed by the power of cosmetics to change one’s perspective about things. Be it the beauty or the beholder both pretty much experience the same gratification from the wonders of aesthetic apothecary.

A couple of weeks back I attended a seminar on Basic Makeup under Suzzane and Cindy. My knowledge and skills or what Ithought I had about make-ups and all have been thrown out the window. We got a pretty good deal for that workshop for 7 hams. That’s right only 700 bucks for a lifelong investment on the proper way of painting one’s face. And mind you, we were using the best products in the market. Products I’m having second thoughts of buying. I could be such a cheapskate at times. As much as I am at awe at great products like Shu Uemura and Lancome Paris, I dunno, I feel that cheaper products would do just as well. But I know, I know, they came with that tag price for a reason. Just like I surrendered to that thought with my Topshop and Dorothy Perkins purchases. Going back to the workshop, I think it came out pretty well. I’ve learned just about enough to get me going. My brows got fixed and dispelled Alma’s notion that mine sucked. Both Cindy and Suzzane even said that they’re mighty fine except for several stray hairs. Nothing to be alarmed about like what Alma was insisting. I do know that the eyebrows can make or break the face but whenever I look in the mirror, I feel that I’m okey. Not so bad really.

My daily beauty ritual just entails washing the face, putting on vitamin c serum and then some cheek stain and a lip tint. Not so much on powder these days. I grew tired of carrying that big pot of loose powder in my bag. The solution would have been easy as just transferring some into a small container but what about my big brush??? Anyway, let’s just leave that be. I never bring my kikay kit as much as I did before. Oh but I have a beauty trailer from Two-Faced which I so loved. One of things I came across the Sephora Surfing Season. Man, I’ve been going to that site really frequently. Got it for a good deal at 30 dollarz... Suweet!!!


Speaking of Sephora Surfing Season, I just came across some facts that everyone could make good use of, so I’m sharing them here to add to your beauty intelligence…

1. Dark circles are not from lack of sleep. This is sheer gossip as the real cause happens to be skin transparency. The short cut cure is a concealer. But one should look for one that can also bolster and protect the skin. You can ask your friendly-neighborhood Dermatologist for the long-time fix.


2. Some people go t the idea that exercise can actually get rid of ugly cellulites. Of course this is not true at all as I have been told that cellulite can affect everyone. So it’s safe to say that couch potatoes and gym freaks are created equal when it comes to cellies…What a let down! But you can thank the hardworking scientists and aestheticians who never succumbed to the pressure of bringing forth a breakthrough cure to anyone suffering the stigma of being cellulite central... I hear Avon’s firming product is good. And I just found out about this Cellulite Solution from Murad but the price tag is about 70 dollarz per kit. Well should you not have that kind of munny, it’s perhaps the best time to accept that cellulites are but part of life.

3. I love perfumes. I absolutely love wearing different fragrances. And again I confess that I’m one of them who wear my most favorite on special occasions. We’ve been told or prolly read somewhere that we should wear fragrance behind our ears. Fact is we should wear it on our pulse points: wrist, behind the knees, crook of the elbow working our way up.


4. This one is so true- split ends can only be repaired by a trip to the salon and having it trimmed off. I’ve come across this exfoliating treatment for the hair but it’s not yet available here in Manila. I’m still tryna find out a similar product from Kerastase, since they have an Institute here anyway. I hear that it’s advisable to bolster strands weekly.

5. Did you ever hear about that rumor that lip balm is addictive? That’s right, could be an old wives’ tale but studies actually showed that they indeed are if they’re medicated. So that could pretty much explain why a certain friend of mine couldn’t stop applying balm like it’s a reflex action. The recommendation so I’ve read is to stick to moisturizing formula that’s free of drying ingredients like camphor and phenol. I would really wanna get my hands on this Buzz Latte Lip balm my sister was raving about from Bare Escentuals. I think it’s pretty neat to have it in Latte flavor. Hmmmmh…


6. For those craving for a tan complexion, better think twice before baking yourself under the sun. Somebody said that a base tan is healthy, but that’s bull. The only healthy tan I hear is fake tan. Tan in a bottle. Sunshine in a pot. Whoaaa… this is pretty interesting. I wonder how I’d look like when I’m all bronzed up…


I used to not like wearing make-up but I just realized that there’s nothing wrong with enhancing one’s beauty. Yes, you could say that it’s superficial; that it’s skin deep, but there’s no denying that beauty is indeed a powerful tool to change one’s perspective. Now you know what I’m talking about. I hear one dj yesterday claiming that he despises beautiful people saying that it’s the inside that counts. The dude somehow feels that it’s bull should a beautiful person claim that beauty is in the inside -- unpretty folks shouldn’t dig that deal because they’re just tryna patronize you in their own little way and tryna make you feel all better. He may have a good point, but I don’t generalize cuz I’ve met some of the most beautiful people and their beauty really emanates from within. I think dj dude should keep an open mind but I do get where he’s coming from since he’s been rubbing elbows with lotsa duh beauties… The beautiful people I know are authentic and sincere. You see, I’m one of the more critical people I know and I wouldn’t call you beautiful if you’re just a mere eye candy. There should be something about you that makes you stand out. Not the make-up, not the shoesies, not the outfit. It’s the way they deal with me and other people. Physical beauty can easily fade away with a snotty attitude and lack of respect for other people. It’s not really the wit or the smarts but it’s more of being generous of your time and understanding. It’s being open to anything that could make you appear like a Miss Universe.

So the next time you see somebody beautiful, be generous with your time to understand that these people are actually equals. Keep in mind that both of you would experience the same emotions and satisfaction either being the beauty or the beholder. At some point in time we would be one or the other. For now, we could work on being the “beauty” that could change everything.

No comments: